Problematic dry skin is one of the most frustrating and common skin problem that each of us face at some point. Lack of sleep and water, constant change in the weather and exposure of harmful rays cause our skin to be dry and sensitive. When our skin do not have sufficient moisture, it loses its elasticity and radiance.
What are the causes of dry skin?
1. Singapore has no season and has been summer all year long. In places where there are four seasons – drastic change in the temperature, our skin suffers the most. Especially in winter time, the dry skin strips the moisture from our skin, causing us to look dull and lifeless.
2. When you wash your face with hot water, it washes away the natural oils produced by your skin and as such, it dries out your skin. Do not use hot water to wash your face or even your hair but to use warm water as it preserves the nature oils that protect and tighten your skin.
3. Not to say, dry skin is associated with the dehydration of skin. Thus, ensure that you have a balance intake of water. Not just it hydrates your skin, it also helps to “flush” the toxins away from you body.
4. Avoid excessive washing of your face. Stick to twice per day. Unless you have a very oily skin, you can wash more than twice per day. Washing too much will strip away the skin’s protective oil.
5. Drugs (such as retinoid) commonly used for high blood pressure, acne-proned patients have the side effect of drying out your skin.
7. Hormonal changes especially in aging women can also cause dry skin.
8. Medical condition like eczema, psoriasis and diabetes cause dry skin problem. Fluctuation in glucose level can lead to dehydration which can in turn cause dry skin. Thyroid also reduces the amount of oil produces in the body as a result of which skin becomes dry and rough.
9. Not getting proper nutrition and balanced diet can also leave the skin dried out.